Thursday, May 8, 2008

Essay Contest: "Where Were You On 5/15?"

This is the essay contest, and since it is in honor of the approaching day of celebration, I guess we'll stick with the theme I originally suggested: Where were you on 5/15?

I'll give you my own mini essay right here. When I awoke on May 15, 2007, I was in a relatively glum mood. This was part of a prolonged spell of glumness, stemming back to the beginning of May and the first blog posts (with pictures) of Harlow and Brent romping together on Black's Beach.

Well, they weren't exactly "romping." In fact, in the blog comment storm following the Black's Beach visit, the one thing almost everyone agreed on was that Brent looked uncomfortable in those pictures. The dark glasses, wan smiles...Brent looked like he wanted to romp AWAY from Harlow at the soonest possible opportunity. Many bloggers from all the various "camps," from Cad to me, noted this.

But despite this glimmering that something here might be amiss...these photos when they came out plunged me into despair. Again, backing up in time to explain things: For MONTHS prior to this, ever since the murder and the revelation of the Drake/Harlow connection, I was one of a VERY small band of stalwarts that had been saying all along that Harlow was the murderer. It's hard to imagine this now, but before Arrest Day this was a VERY VERY minority opinion. The leading theories were that 1) Grant and/or Brent did it; 2) Aaron aka Robert Wagner did it 3) "bb" did it (LOL, ok, only one person thought this); 4) the "15 y/o" did this; 5) a random Brent fan did this; 6) Luzerne County did this, etc etc etc. All of these dominent theories had a common thread: poor innocent little Harlow being framed.

So, back then, whenever I tried to point out that based on what we know, it was near impossible for Harlow to have been framed, therefore, he must be the murderer (ie, Occam's Razor), I would get passionately drowned out by the majority opiners enumerated above.

So, Blacks Beach Day, yeah, that was a dark day for us Harlow-did-it stalwarts. I personally was stunned; I could not believe Brent and Grant were so stupid as to give a murderering thug a photo op like this. Did they not realize the obvious, as I did? OR PERHAPS...they knew he was a murderer, because they were all in it together? But, if that were the case...this was not only a stupid move on their part, it was a STUPENDOUSLY stupid move. It made them all look guilty! The whole thing...it was incomprehensible to me back then.

But the most depressing aspect of it all was (from my point of view) was that it indicated that the police APPARANTLY no longer had interest in Harlow and Joe as a suspect. How else could one explain Brent and Grant and Harlow and Joe's fearless decision to associate with one another so openly like this? I was crestfallen.

So, after two weeks of brooding in the aftermath of this...you all can now imagine my mood when I awoke on 5/15 of last year.

I had been thinking the past two weeks about just stepping away from all the blogs about this case, cold turkey. "What was the point?" I thought. So when I got up that day, I did not even bother to check in with Jason Curious or Elm (the two main sources for Kocis case chinwagging back then). I recall that I feared that I might read a "Mark@www.boisrus.com" post, and I simply did not want to go into work with the mild nausea such posts inflicted on me back then.

I go to work. It's a busy day, and I'm working on a big project, which at the time help take my mind off of all things Kocis. During my lunch break, I think to myself, do I really want to distract myself, checking in with the blogs? Naw. In fact, maybe this'll be the day I decide to simply quit them cold turkey? Naw...not today. I'll check in later. Maybe...

I throw myself back into my work. Theraputically distracting work! Late in the afternoon, I decide to take a break. Hmmm, maybe I'll take a quick 5 second peek at Elm blog, see if he's still whining about people not taking his stupid "Should Brent and Harlow film together?" poll...yeah a quick peek could do no harm...

I have been told by my coworkers that I let out a bloodcurdling shriek at this point. Honestly, I do not recall this. So, you'll have to take their word on this, not mine.

What I do recall is reading comment after comment after comment...with my glee increasing moment after moment after moment. I recall many of the comments saying "gee, where is jim?" and "yeah, I wonder why jim is not commenting on this" and such...LOL!

UNFORTUNATELY that work project which was a few moments ago so theraputic was now a roadblock. And it was calling me back...so I could only participate lightly in the discussion at this point. I dashed off a quick post, informing my fans that "I'm coming, don't worry, gloatfest on the way...!" or some such, and then went into a meeting.

I go to this meeting. People are saying stuff. I nod my head occasionally, when people say things to me. All my mental efforts are directed towards bottling up the pent up TEARS OF JOY from bursting out of my head!

I went home. I blogged. I saw many congratulatory comments directed to me. Sweet!

And that was my 5/15 story!

Nominations close on the 12th, then voting, winners announced on the 15th. The GLORIOUS 15th of May!

Update: Because we were all pretty shaken up by the events of this weekend, I think I will push back the day for nominations on all the contests until May 13. Then Voting will begin.

13 comments:

Geoff Harvard said...

On May 15, 2007, I had never heard of Brent Corrigan. Imagine that. I got up at 5 a. m. and went for a run. I let the dog out. I listened to Bill Bennett's Morning in America while taking a shit, shower, and shave and fixing an egg white burrito for breakfast. I got to school at 0708 and administered some final exams and worked on packing my trash to get out of there. At lunch I sat around with other teachers bitching about how mendacious and meretricious the goddamned administration is. In the afternoon I went to my cardiologist for a one-year-after checkup. Then I went to my GP's office while I was thinking about it and renewed some prescriptions. Then I went to check my PO box and went to the supermarket and got some Lindeman's Pinot Grigio on sale for $4.99. Then I went home and drank the wine while watching Brit Hume on Fox. The wine carried over into Emeril and Alton Brown. I went to bed around 9 so I could be up again at 5.

Rob said...

Like Geoff, I too had not known of Sean Lockhart and Grant Roy and Bryan Kocis.

My day was somewhat like Geoff's in that I was practicing my profession. A little later, I drove my dad and my mom to my dad's cancer surgery follow-up appointment in another city.

After the appointment, I took my mom and dad to dinner. Then, drove back home.

Albert said...

For DeWayne on 9 May.
Happy Birthday Partner.

DeWayne In San Diego said...

Jim I just learned this evening of the passing of Blogger Bud Foxx in Chicago.

His BF William posted on Buds new Blog.

Bud Foxx was Christopher Maddux
1972-2008

http://brinkzone.blogspot.com/

DeWayne In San Diego said...

Sad but PUBLIC Musings

I called Bud Foxx a Digital friend that did not make him a lesser friend just a different kind.

I have been online with bbs,icq,forums,community's of all kinds,subjects in 20 years and I have watched people pass away. Sometimes we were informed by friends or family (like William tonight) other times a person would just stop posting.

We say that an online friend is different than a real world friend (supposedly we know more about the real world friend) but are they?

All of our friends,acquaintances,family know as much about us as we choose to share.

I will personally mourn the passing of Christopher Maddux a person I knew less than a year, we emailed privately and I loved his writing,his sense of humor he was a Bud!

Jim I would never suggest a blog post to anyone but you have been the best commentator and observer in the Kocisphere. Bud Foxx was a late arrival but certainly on several occasions let me know of his admiration for you.

When he shuttered his last Blog he asked me to contact you through our "message service" ;) and let you know personally why he was closing down.

Maybe you would be the best person to do a post about Bud and what it means to all of us in a Blogging community when one of us dies.

Is it like a barstool now vacant at a bar and a drinking buddy gone or is something else entirely?

Nite Jim

jim said...

I'm still were I was when I first heard about this, too stunned to post about it...but I'll see what I can do.

I very much doubt I'll be "the best."

BB said...

It is always sad to hear of someones passing.

I never knew BK or had any kind of interaction with him. Yet I felt sad about his horrific death, while many danced with joy - even budfoxx thought his idea of making a cake in the shape of BK's severed head was funny. It was yet another attack on a dead person I assume he did not know.

I will not be as mean and attack any of you for feeling sad at the loss of budfoxx. The death of another human being is no laughing matter regardless of the circumstances.

RIP Christopher Maddux.

Anonymous said...

This is rough. I am just sitting here at the computer in shock.
I loved that guy. Never met him but really wanted to. Wrote to him last Dec. and told him I wanted to take him to see Cher. He loved her so much

Anonymous said...

Today, May 10th 2008 I will never forget.
There are not that many days I remember exactly, this will be one of them.
This day the computer became the object of a great amount of grief.
I cried over it, I sat in shock over it, and then tried to go into the "Twilight Zone" that is May 10th 2008 for me.
I wish I had met bud/Chris. But I knew him in my way. I wish I had taken him and his lover to Cher. I wanted to. I wanted to be there when he saw her. I thought well, she will be there for a while we will go. There was something about bud foxx, I wanted to be his friend.
I thought we had more time.
I thought we had more time my friend.

Rob said...

BB--

Very well said. I do not believe Bryan deserved to die in the way he was forced to endure. And BudFoxx's death from scourage of these times takes another brillant mind that none of us can afford to lose.

I knew BudFoxx only through the words he posted. He made us think and smile, a not so easy thing to accomplish with such a diverse group as we compose. I am going to miss him and his wisdom.

Rob said...

VJ--

If you remember Christopher here, he is with you. I can relate to the loss of your friend. I admire you for your courage and your sensitivity.

Rob said...

Jim--

I move that Christopher BudFoxx Maddux be given an award for this May 15th Remembrance Contest in memorium. If any blogger deserves an award for his written work, it is Christopher. He was always insightful and with great humor in delivering his wisdom.

I ask for a second to this motion to reward Christopher BudFoxx Maddux in memorium.

jim said...

I'll second that.